Have a look on our frequently asked questions to better understand the VAT refund process

Do you have any other question?

If you do not find answer to your question here, just chat with us. A member of our team will quickly answer to you in our live support.

Value-added tax (VAT) is used most often in the European Union. It is a type of consumption tax that is placed on the added value of a product or a service whenever it is sold. Businesses recover VAT paid on their purchases (Input VAT) and pay VAT on their sales (Output VAT). The final consumer is not allowed to recover its Input VAT.
The VAT amount is calculated on the basis of the net amount of the invoice to which a VAT rate is applied. The sum of the net amount and VAT amount is called the gross amount. This VAT rate varies depending on the legislation of each country and the typology of goods and services involved. Check our dynamic VAT map to find out the VAT rates in use in each country of the European Union.
Yes, travel expenses like restaurants or taxis are products and services subjected to VAT. Therefore, you are paying VAT whenever you travel. However, in exceptional cases, some countries consider that some of those expenses are excluded from the scope of application of VAT and a 0% VAT rate is applied.

As a general rule, as a company you are allowed to claim your VAT back on all your expenses. However, some categories of products are excluded or partially excluded from this right of deduction. Each country has specific legislations and rules in place, sometimes making it difficult to know if you are allowed to claim your VAT back or not. This is one reason to start using VAT4U as we have mapped all the country specifics to make this work easier for you.

Yes. In this case, three scenarios are possible.

Scenario 1: You are VAT registered in this country. In this case you have to inject the expenses and the related input VAT into your local VAT returns.

Scenario 2: This country is a European Member state but you are not registered there.
In this case, as a foreign company, you will have to submit a VAT claim through the European VAT refund procedure. Start preparing and sending this claim here.

Scenario 3: It is a third country (non EU) and you are not registered there. In this case, if the country has a reciprocity policy in place with your country, you are allowed to claim your VAT back under a specific procedure.

Yes. VAT4U is also available for non EU businesses (e.g. companies based in USA, Canada, India, Japan, …). Our system will assess your VAT refund rights on each of your expenses according to the rules of each country of refund and the reciprocity treaties in place between your country and the country of refund.

In a country where you are VAT registered, the refund is immediate since you will deduct the VAT from your VAT return.
If you are an EU business and not VAT registered in the country of refund,  it takes up to 4 months and up to 8 months in case of further query from the tax administration.

For non EU-businesses, it takes up to 4 months and up to 12 months in case of further query from the tax administration.

If your claim is not complete or accurate, tax administrations will usually reject your entire claim and/or deduct any overpayment from your next refund or ask you to repay the overpaid amount. You may also be charged a penalty for sending in an incorrect claim. False claims are treated very seriously and have serious financial consequences including repayment of the amount falsely claimed plus penalty amounts.